Ringsend College has a brand new lab sponsored by Covanta and opened in 2018 where general Science and Biology are studied.
All students participate in Junior Cert Science which is split between Physics, Chemistry, Biology and a unify strand of Science in Nature. Students can continue on studying Biology for the Leaving Cert.
A new Junior Science course was introduced in September 2016.
Junior Cycle Science focuses on the development of students’ knowledge of and about science through the unifying strand , Nature of science, and the four contextual strands: Physical world, Chemical world, Biological world, and Earth and space. It has been designed for a minimum of 200 hours of timetabled student engagement across the three years of junior cycle.
Biology is the study of life.
Through the study of biology students employ the processes of science in their investigations and explore the diversity of life and the inter-relationship between organisms and their environment.
Students develop an understanding and knowledge of the unit of life – the cell – whose structures and processes are shared by all living organisms and, in so doing, gain an insight into the uniqueness, function and role of organisms, including themselves.
In addition, they become aware of the use by humans of other living organisms and their products to enhance human health and the human environment and make informed evaluations about contemporary biological issues.
The syllabus is composed of science for the enquiring mind or pure science, which constitutes approximately 70% of the syllabus, and the technological, political, social and economic aspects of biology, which constitutes the remaining 30%.
The syllabus consists of three units:
Unit One: Biology - The Study of Life
Unit Two: The Cell
Unit Three: The Organism.
Ringsend College from the RTE Archives
Click here to watch An RTÉ News report broadcast on 15 April 1983. The reporter is Charlie Bird.Source: RTE Archives. The
Ringsend College Summer Video 2020
We’ve come to the end of the school year for 2020. Here’s a message from Principal Ryder along with footage